Jake and Lily by Jerry Spinelli, Balzer+Bray, 2012
Rating: 1-5 (5 is excellent or a Starred review)
What did you like about the book?
Jake and Lily are twins who just turn 11 as the story begins, each chapter is written alternately by them. This is a lovely story about growing up and growing into individuals. Jake and Lily get to meet their long-missed grandfather, Poppy and discover that being twins doesn’t mean they have to do everything together. Lily reminds the reader of Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird with her independence and determination. There’s goombla, goobers and supergoobers-you’ll have to read the book to learn what they mean.
This is a great book to read this summer since that’s when the book takes place.
What didn’t you like about the book?
To whom would you recommend this book? (Read-alikes if you can think of them)
If you like To Kill a Mockingbird, Because of Winn-Dixie, or any of Jerry Spinelli’s other books you’ll enjoy Jake and Lily.
Who should buy this book? (Middle schools, high schools, small libraries, all libraries, etc.)
Middle schools, public libraries
Where would you shelve it and why?
Should we (librarians) put this on the top of our “to read” piles?
It would be a nice way to spend a couple of hours.
Reviewer’s Name, Library (or school), City:
Maria Touet, Librarian, Pope John XXIII High School, Everett, MA
Date of review:
June 11, 2012
- The Sleepwalkers by Viviane SchwarzCandlewick (2013), Paperback, 96 pages
- Giddy-Up, Daddy! by Troy CummingsRandom House Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 40 pages
- Calvin Coconut #9: Extra Famous by Graham SalisburyWendy Lamb Books (2013), Hardcover, 176 pages
- Spirit's Chosen (Princesses of Myth) by Esther FriesnerRandom House Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 496 pages
- Zigzag Zoom (Zigzag Kids) by Patricia Reilly GiffWendy Lamb Books (2013), Hardcover, 80 pages
- Nine Days by Fred HiattDelacorte Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 256 pages
- The Flame in the Mist by Kit GrindstaffDelacorte Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 464 pages
- Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night by Lenore LookSchwartz & Wade (2013), Hardcover, 192 pages
- Lunch Lady and the Video Game Villain: Lunch Lady #9 by Jarrett J. KrosoczkaKnopf Books for Young Readers (2013), Paperback, 96 pages
- Cowboy Up!: Ride the Navajo Rodeo by Nancy Bo FloodWordsong (2013), Edition: Ragbk, Hardcover, 48 pages
- The Sleepwalkers by Viviane Schwarz